What is Z-Wave® Technology?
Z-Wave® technology. That sounds like something out of a 1950’s Sci-Fi movie, right? While it might sound like a fictional technology, it’s actually something you’ve probably seen and used before. Many of our favorite home security and automation tools run using Z-Wave®. Things like:
- security systems
- smart thermostats
- automatic lights/blinds
- video doorbells
- voice control devices (like the Amazon Echo)
Let’s take a look at how Z-Wave® actually works to power the devices that make our lives a little bit easier and more efficient.
How Z-Wave® Technology Works
Photo Credit: Z-Wave®
According to the manufacturer, Z-Wave® is “a wireless radio frequency technology that lets smart devices talk to and connect with one another.” How do they do this? Well, all of your home’s devices connect to a single network. The network is based around a single hub that must be plugged into the wall to keep the network up and running. When the hub receives a command given by an app on your smartphone, computer or tablet, it routes the command to the proper device. Z-Wave® signals easily travel through most walls, floors and ceilings. Devices can communicate point-to-point for up to 120 feet on their own! To cover more space (up to 600 feet) multiple networks can be linked together.
Each device added to the network becomes a signal repeater. So, the more devices you have in your home, the stronger the network signal becomes. A single network can have up to 72 individual Z-Wave® devices!
There are currently more than 2100 types of Z-Wave® certified devices on the market. If there is something you’ve been wanting to do to make your home “smarter” and more efficient, most likely there is a Z-Wave® device that can accomplish the task.
Safe Connections for a Safe Home
As with any network of devices, a big concern is security and making sure that only the people you want to have access to your network do. After all, you don’t want anyone with the app to be able to come in an start controlling everything thing in your home. Don’t worry, this won’t be an issue. Z-Wave®, uses the same encryption as online banking to keep your network and connected devices safe and secure.
Z-Wave® Devices, Making Lives Easier Everyday
Now that you know how the technology works, let’s talk about perhaps the most important thing, how Z-Wave® can help you. To put it simply, Z-Wave® devices make doing day-to-day activities easier and more efficient. They make it easier to:
- Control the comfort level of your home. Smart thermostats make it easy to keep your home at the perfect temperature.
- Save money on energy bills. Z-Wave® devices themselves are very efficient and use very little energy, and they allow you do other energy saving activities like lowering the heat or A/C or turning off lights when they aren’t in use.
- Look in on loved ones. Video surveillance cameras that connect to your home’s Z-Wave® network allow to remotely check on kids, pets or elderly parents while you are away from them.
- Protect your home from catastrophe. Z-Wave® devices like: automatic water shut-offs, low temperature monitors and smoke and carbon monoxide can protect your home from environmental issues.
- Close and open the garage door. Forgot to shut the door before you left? Don’t worry, you can do it right from your phone if your garage door opener is Z-Wave® enabled.
Do you want to learn more about how we at Supreme Security Systems use Z-Wave® technology to meet your home security and automation needs? Contact us today to get the conversation started.