Video Verification & False Alarms: 5 Things Business Owners Need to Know

Few things are more annoying (and unnecessarily costly) for a business owner than a burglar alarm tripped by accident. It could be anything from an animal setting off a sensor to a gust of wind that rattles the windows, but these incidents have real consequences. Many police departments charge for false alarms after repeated offenses. For example, the LAPD charges $162 for the first false alarm and the fee escalates by $50 every time another occurs. Also, if your business experiences repeated false alarms, it can cause management and employees to doubt the severity of the alarm, lessening the effectiveness of the system.

Video Verification & False Alarms: 5 Things Business Owners Need to Know

According to ChainStoreAge.com, over 95% of triggered security system alarms turn out to be false due to natural causes or human error. The remaining 5% can be the ultimate difference for a business and its employees. In some cases, it can even be the difference between life or death. So, how can businesses cut down on false alarms? There’s a simple answer: Video Verification.

Video Verification describes the use of interactive video monitoring to validate emergency situations and provide real-time intelligence to first-responders. It can save a business time and money, and there are five important things to know about it.

#1. Video Verification Drastically Reduces False Alarms

If an alarm is triggered, a central monitoring station operator sees a short video clip (taken pre- and post-event) to make appropriate dispatch decisions. This way, your security provider can immediately know whether or not the alarm is false. If there is no real threat detected, the operator can save time and money by quickly canceling the alarm.

Quite a few municipalities nationwide already legally require video verification before assigning police and other emergency aid to a security system alarm, a rising trend that is sure to continue.

#2. It Maximizes Time for First Responders

Video verification can provide important information to law enforcement. According to a report from the US Department of Justice, some agencies have recorded a sharp drop in the time allocated to investigating lower priority crime such as petty theft and fugitive tracking due to video verification.

#3. Instant Notification and Video

Not only is the central monitoring station notified when the alarm goes off, but so is the business owner.(Assuming the end user has alerts set up, many do not and rely on us to verify)This way, a business owner can personally know what is going on immediately and act accordingly. This gives business owners peace of mind as it can confirm whether or not the threat is real in seconds. As described above, in most cases the business owner/end user is relying on us to verify the alarm, thus reducing calls to them in the night.

#4. Increased Apprehension Rates

A significantly faster response means more arrests for police and less success for burglars. Because the system captures videos during an incident, video verification provides valuable evidence and real-time information for police. Meanwhile, the central monitoring station operators can monitor video silently and alert police….without ever letting the intruder know they are in danger.

#5. It Eliminates the Chance of Being Put on a “Suspended” List by Authorities

Police response to alarms can be suspended after repeated false alarms. Different jurisdictions have different laws, but many townships suspend police response after the third false burglar/intrusion alarm within a permit period. Although, typically an alarm user will be provided a thirty day period to be reinstated prior to the actual suspension.


Contact us to learn more about our security solutions for homeowners.