It’s fun to look at movies like Back to the Future and see what the creators got right and wrong about today’s advances in technology. The hoverboards, flying cars, and biometric devices that were once only fantasy, all exist in some form today. But while they got some things right, they failed to predict the huge advances that have changed and improved our everyday lives. Today we’re going to take you through 4 aspects of home automation, and show you just how much easier a few small pieces of technology can make your life.
Home Automation has two fantastic features in regards to lighting control. The first is the ability to adjust your lights remotely. Using SupremeConnect (our home automation application), you will be able to access the lighting system of your home from a smart device and adjust the lights according to your needs, from anywhere. The second is the ability to strategically program your lights for specific times of the day. This means that you can program the lights to turn off, to turn on, or to dim or un-dim at specific times on specific days. While these features may seem simple, they offer limitless convenience that will be put to use every day of the week. Let’s look at a few different situations to see just how convenient lighting control is.
Feature 1: Remote Lighting Control
- You forgot to turn a light off when leaving for work. Once you get to work, you open SupremeConnect and turn off the light from your smartphone.
- You left the bedroom light on and you are now comfortably in bed. You open your smartphone and turn the light off without having to get up.
- You arrive home late one night. No one else is home and none of the lights are on. You turn on a few of the lights before entering, so you don’t have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling that comes with entering a completely dark house.
- An unusual sound wakes you up in the middle of the night. You turn on the necessary lights before investigating.
Feature 2: Programmable Light Schedules
- It is bedtime for the kids, but you know they won’t turn off the lights until you’ve walked into their rooms for the third time. Program the lights to turn off in their rooms at 9:00 PM.
- It is bedtime for you. Instead of walking around the house and turning off all of the lights, program all except the porch light to turn off.
- It is time to get ready for work, but you always have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Program the lights to turn on as soon as your alarm goes off.
- Your house is empty during the day from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Program a “day-time mode” in which all house lights are automatically turned off.
- You’re away on vacation or our for the evening. Program an “away” mode in which some of the lights in your home turn on and off in the evening, to make potential burglars believe you are home.
These are just a few examples of how you can use lighting control to make your life easier, but the convenience it offers already seems invaluable. Let’s take a look at a few other ways home automation can make your life easier.
In temperate areas of the country (such as our home state of New Jersey), the weather and temperature can be incredibly sporadic, making it difficult to keep your home comfortable. Luckily, home automation has a solution. With a smart home thermostat connected to SupremeConnect, you can program, monitor, and adjust the temperature of your home from anywhere.
On days of drastic temperature change, this will allow you to make sure that your home is at a comfortable temperature when you return. It will also help you save money on your heating and cooling bills. How? You can program your smart thermostat to increase or decrease the internal temperature of your home based on your schedule. Instead of keeping the heat at seventy degrees all day, you can drop it to sixty-four when you are at work, and have it heat back up while you are making your way home.
Smart locks are the ideal tool for those of us who constantly wonder: “Did I actually lock the door?” Like our other home automation features, smart locks can be integrated with the SupremeConnect application, which will allow you to see if they are locked or unlocked. This takes the worry out of home security and will give you the peace of mind you need when you leave for work or on a vacation.
Smart locks have a few other features that you might find useful as well. Because you can lock and unlock your doors from anywhere, you can let in friends or family even if you aren’t home or are unavailable. Don’t worry about coordinating a time to let in your cousin who is visiting from out of town, just have him text you when he arrives at your house, and unlock the door from your office. This eliminates inconvenience, and the need to leave a spare key that could be a potential security risk.
Doorbell Cameras and Intercoms
Often paired with smart locks, doorbell cameras allow you to see who is at your door and doorbell intercoms allow you to speak to them. Because roughly 34% of burglars enter homes through the front door, this can be an incredible tool for improving the security of your home. Your SupremeConnect app can alert you to when someone is at your door. From your smart device, you can view live footage of what is taking place at your door, and actually speak to whoever has arrived. As the video below shows, this can help you catch thieves in the act and scare them off.
This can also be useful when expecting company or an important package. You can see who is on your porch and give them specific instructions. For example: “Hello, can you please leave the package around back.” Or: “Hey James, I’m running late, but I’ll be home in five. I just unlocked the doors so head on in.”
Embrace the Future, Embrace Convenience
If you’re ready to bring an incredible amount of convenience to your life, visit our website by clicking here. We’ll tell you a little bit more about Home Automation, and you can reach out to us to see exactly what a system might look like for your home. We’re excited to see how we can make your life safer and easier.